Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What I Need To Hear Right Now - Slice of Life Story

Last week Cecilia begged me to get the Vacation Bible School CD and reminded me to get it the next day. As I was driving around running errands after dropping them off, I found myself still listening to their CD. Number 8 came on, and it was exactly what I needed to hear, "Don't worry about anything. Instead pray about everything."



Back in January when Ali Edwards prompted me to set a monthly intention related to my One Little Word Nurture as part of her class, I was not completely sure which transitions were in store for our family. At minimum, I knew we would be adjusting to the first full month of summer break with the girls at home and still getting used to our new life with the baby. So back then I set Nurture Transitions as my June intention and wrote, "Carefully observe the impact of transitions and nurture a vision of how I want it to be - a focus on happiness regardless of the circumstances."

Just as earlier on in my March reflections, this intention ended up being just what I need right now; it is turning out to be more perfect than I could have imagined. A message to my future self, letting me know to focus on what is important and to choose happiness.

So I keep reminding myself to take deep breaths, to keep things in perspective, to be grateful for so many things that are going right in my life. I keep trying (some moments more successfully than others) to not think too much about our house that is sitting on the market with hopeful showings but no offers, about how we don't know where we are going to live when we move in a little over a month since we will be renting and won't be able to set something up until closer to our moving date, about what our new life will be like...

Sunday, when I came back from the store with all of the items we needed to pack the girls' buckets for Girl Scout Camp, Cecilia asked, "When are we going to make that cushion?" Right, that cushion to add padding for when the storage buckets double as seats. Yesterday morning as I drove to JoAnn's to buy supplies for the last minute DIY project, I turned on the CD and clicked forward to Number 8. I needed to hear that message amidst the swirl of activity and uncertainties and transitions.

And yet, as I neared JoAnn's I realized that shortly after the opening lines my mind had drifted to our house and whether we will have an offer before we move or whether we will need to figure out the logistics of renting... I clicked it back to the start of the song again as I pulled into a parking space and again as I drove home.

Yes, I need to hear those words right now over and over. I need to hear the words I wrote to myself, setting an intention for the year. I constantly need to make myself step back and refocus, to enjoy the people in my life and all that is around me, to think about how my current anxieties won't be permanent and that they pale in comparison to what many people in the world are facing right now.

"Don't worry about anything. Instead pray about everything."

Choose happiness.

What words do you need to hear right now?

5 comments:

  1. I love the happenstance when you get what you need at precisely the right moment. Hold on to those words, they will support you through the trying days. I hope you get an offer on your house before you move. I would love to hear the words, "Mom, we are moving closer to you." But those are not words I will hear soon. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a quiet, peaceful moment so the words I am hearing from my heart are full of thanks. Life turns and when it does I am going to borrow the words you are hearing, "Don't worry about anything. Instead pray about everything." Wise advice. Blessings as you fold these words into the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a stressful time, and I'm happy that you've found the words that will help. Best wishes in all things, and you're right-there are people who are facing tougher things, yet that still doesn't change that you need some support in some way. Best wishes for the house sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when a message comes through loud and clear. There's a reason for that. :) So I'm glad you heard it and keep reminding yourself by playing that song over and over again especially during this stressful couple months with everything going on. Hang in there and keep praying! Prayers will be answered in due time and you may even be surprised what lies ahead! Praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I keep reminding myself to take deep breaths, to keep things in perspective, to be grateful for so many things that are going right in my life."
    This sentiment is perfect to live with since you have so much on your plate right now. Things WILL get easier (and I hope that happens soon)!

    ReplyDelete